Today is slightly entertaining for me considering I just had weight loss surgery and I can’t eat my feelings. Outside of the irony not lost of me, it’s also a little lonely. Today is a really weird day given that this may be the first year I actually wanted to be in a relationship of some sort on February 14th. The older I get and the more I get my life together, the more I find that the only thing missing from my life is sharing it with someone else… in a romantic way. I still call my mom at 7 am every morning to hear her fuss that I woke her up and call my sister back to back…to back to back on FaceTime until she picks up the phone only to tell her I didn’t want anything. Those moments will always hold a special place in my heart, but it’s a huge feat for me to actually want to give my time to someone else not in my family.
Given that I can’t down cake and wine tonight, I’ve put together a few tips for anyone else feeling their singlehood on this chilly Wednesday afternoon:
- Spend a few minutes reminding you all the things you like about yourself. I do this every morning and it’s had a powerful effect on my self-esteem. Even if you do want to spend today and every other day with your future special someone, you should remember all the reasons your great on your own.
- Grab a cup of coffee! This is honestly the only treat I want today and I can’t even drink caffeine. I may pop out for a nice cup of decaf and listen to some music while I sit and sip away. Good coffee always cheers me up! Try tea instead if that’s your thing!
- Spend the time with a friend. Some people may think this is weird, but there’s something to be said about seeing a friendly face today. It may cheer you up to know that your besties love you!
- Go for a walk. Fresh air does a lot for the soul.
- Go to bed early. This is my go to tip on holidays where I have to spend the day alone. There’s no point in staying up, agonizing over being single today. Call it night, watch some tv and wake up well rested for February 15th.
Just a little light hearted humor for a tough day like today. My surgery and recovery went well and today is the first day that I feel like dusting off the old keyboard again. Stay tuned for more content on a regular basis!