Happy Tuesday everyone! I’m going to try writing about a series on my blog for the next few weeks. Recently, I’ve spent time trying to work through staying motivated when you’re taking a leap of faith and I’ve put together a few tips that have helped me along the way. Each week, I’ll pick a tip and expand on it with personal stories and more detail. Some days I may pick more than one tip and some days I may write a longer post on one topic. My goal is to move through the list and hold myself accountable for finishing the series (see my last post for context).
Today, I would like to kick off my series by sharing all of my tips.
- Recognize that you’re having a rough time (instead of ignoring it or pretending things will magically be better tomorrow)
- Think about your end goal
- Plan out some of the steps that you think you can take to get back on/ stay on track. They should be small, attainable and realistic.
- Pick one thing you can work on every day
- Start fresh daily. Don’t get down about the previous day and try not to focus too much on tomorrow. Each day is the best day for you to choose to start fresh, keep your spirits up and work your plan.
- Accept defeat for what is it—a temporary road block. Nothing lasts forever—not even the worst times of our lives.
- Be grateful for what you do have. I’ve gone through a few dark times within the past year and I know how easy it is to focus on what’s falling apart. Being grateful for what you do have might help keep things from seeming as overwhelming in addition to adding perspective on your situation overall. You may even be surprised at what all is going right.
- Consider professional help and chat with a therapist. Confiding in friends and family can be distressing for both parties and sometimes you need a trained, neutral third-party to help you think through your thoughts.
- Do your best to eat right, sleep well and exercise
- Give your plan time
- Have faith in yourself. None of this works if you don’t think you can do it.
I went back and forth on whether or not I should keep the list the secret and ultimately decided that that would be an annoying thing to do. You can take these tips and run with them if you think that they’ll be helpful, but hopefully you are also excited to read about the additional content that I have planned for each topic.
See you again soon,